CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 3, 2009

Better Than I Deserve!

Gen 32:10 I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which thou hast shewed unto thy servant;
We have all been asked, “How are you doing?” Most answer, “Fine,” even if they feel lousy. However, there is one standard answer that fits every occasion and every condition. When asked, “How are ya doin’?” I simply answer, “Better than I deserve.” I get all kinds of looks and reactions! Most say, “Oh, you deserve to be doing good.”
The truth is, I’d hate to think what I’d get if I got what I deserved! It’s not that I’m what people would call a “wicked-bad person.” Actually, most people who know me would say I’m a pretty good guy. But, when it comes to getting what we deserve, it doesn’t matter what people think about us. What you or anyone else thinks you deserve and what God says you deserve may be two different things.

WHAT DO WE DESERVE?
A.Deserve means “to be worthy of” (Websters). It can be applied in an evil sense (“he deserves to die”) or a good sense (“I deserve a raise”). It is only found two times in the Bible:
• Job 11:6–…God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
• Ezra 9:13 – And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this;
Both verses convey the idea of someone deserving worst than what they were getting because of their iniquities (sins). In other words, they were doing better than they deserve! They recognized God didn’t owe them anything and no one else owed them anything.
The question is—Do you want what you rightfully deserve (judgment for your sins in hell), or would you rather receive what you don’t deserve (salvation in Jesus Christ)? God has already been merciful to you by giving you this opportunity to accept His free offer of salvation through His Son. Will you receive it?
“How are you doing?” Can you say YOU are doing better than you deserve? As long as you think you are worthy of heaven, you will never see heaven. Before we can be saved we must admit “I deserve to go to hell.” Can you say that? Say it with me, “I deserve to go to hell.”

Remember, the word deserve means “to be worthy of.” Jacob admitted, “I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies...” (Genesis 32:10). The Apostle Peter recognized his unworthiness when he said to Jesus, “Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord” (Luke 5:8). Peter was admitting he didn’t deserve to be in the Lord’s presence.” May we all be as honest regarding our unworthiness. The Lord is not our debtor. Any blessing, or restraint of punishment is because of the grace and mercy of a loving God!

3 comments:

Don Porter said...

I have your blog listed at http://spiritual-meat.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Well said, good doctor!

Porter said...

Last time I checked, I was a child of the king, and not a lowly sinner saved by grace.
"because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father.""--Romans 8: 14,15

Sure, we may not deserve it, but God is giving it to me so I'm going to take it and not wallow in my sin after I've been saved from it.