CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Re 3:1-2 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

There have been some great churches in our country. Many of them still exist today, yet some have died and the doors have been closed, the property sold, the building made into a warehouse or some other purpose. That always seems so sad to me. I get upset when I hear of a Baptist Church closing down. I know it must sadden the heart of the Lord as well.

I have thought about this a lot. What causes a church to die and close its doors? Why would a living organism that Christ gave His life for be forced to close? I don’t think we have to keep changing methods every year. I don’t think we have to renew our commission – these are settled in God and His commands, but do I believe that every Baptist Church needs frequently to examine their purpose, program, and position to see if they are among the living or dead.

Here are some signs of a dead church:
NO BURDEN FOR SOULS
NO HUNGER FOR THE WORD OF GOD
NO HUNGER FOR CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP
NO LIBERTY OF THE HOLY GHOST
NO JOY OF THE LORD
NO SPIRIT OF PRAYER
NO WILLINGNESS TO SERVE WITH SACRIFICE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I can't spell this morning, so I had to delete my blunder!

Anyhow, it is truly sad when God removes His hand of blessing from a church and nails the Ichabod sign over the front door. Tragically, many churches with the doors still open today have that very sign tattooed to the building and they don't even realize it. Great post, Bro. Dave!

ky preacher said...

It's a sad note, but the truth is there are more mosques being built in America than the independent, fundamental baptist church. Truly sad in a country that was founded on the principles of the one true, and holy God.

SGT Warren said...

I remember talking to a preacher once at a fellowship. I said something about the great revivals of the past, he commented that he didn't believe America would see another revival. I wonder what he does believe in. If he didn't belive God could send a revival, what does he think God is capable of. As a preacher, what is his purpose? I wonder why he even takes the time to get behind the pulpit and preach, if he doesn't really think it will do any good.