CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 9, 2009

PERSONAL DEVOTIONS

EACH born again believer should begin each day with God. Psalm 46:10, Be still and know that I am God.... We should have a daily quiet time. We should have this quiet time alone, away from the cares and interruptions of the world. To do this, you may have to cut the ringer off on the phone!

Let me note some things about personal devotions:

1. Read the Word of God. Read it carefully and prayerfully. It is a blessing to allow God to speak to us through His Word. Memorize a portion of the Word of God. Psalm 119:11. God's Word will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from God's Word. Meditate on God's Word. Josh 1:8; Ps. 1:2. Take a verse-go over and over it in your mind and allow the Holy Spirit to teach you. God will give you something fresh each day.

2. Pray. Spend some time talking to God about whatever is on your heart. He will give you the desire to pray and what to pray for.

3. The time of personal devotions should be in the morning before the day begins and before the cares of this life have a chance to rush in upon us. Our minds are fresh in the morning, and we need to go to God first, giving Him the best part of the day.

3 comments:

ky preacher said...

I start everyday in prayer. Not only for my family and myself, but for the members of the church and for other churches. I find that it really does help in starting your day off in the right attitude.

Anonymous said...

Amen,
I need my morning devotions. Many have tried to shortcut this spiritual discipline. Nothing beats the undiverted attention in His Word. May God find us faithful in this regard.

Don Porter said...

I find myself gaining so much from my reading. I have such a desire to take all the illumination and write it down or share. Well, more often than not; I keep it to myself. Gotta share the tidbits