CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dandelions & Bitterness

I found this in some of my outlines don't know where it came from but it is pretty good so I thought I would share it with you. It might be a help to you

Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;” Hebrews 12:15

Some Things I Have Learned About A Dandelion (It is hardy)
• It sends down one main taproot and can regenerate the entire plant from any part of that root. • It grows low to the ground to protect itself from grazing animals and lawnmowers until it is ready to go to seed.
• It can grow anywhere. * Forest Floor * Rocky beach * Well-kept lawns It is prolific.
• It goes to seed rapidly. * In 12-18 hours, it goes from a flower bulb to a full seed head.
• One plant produces hundreds of seeds.
• It multiplies efficiently. * Every petal is a complete flower and can completely reproduce. Is is deceptive and destructive.
• It begins with a pretty yellow flower.
• It becomes ugly very quickly. How many newly mown yards are marred by the dandelion stems that pop right back up?
• It robs sunlight and nutrients from all the plants and grass around it. It is hard to destroy.
• You have to kill the entire root.
• The seeds are widespread. Seeds can travel miles and have been known to cross mountains.

Some Things I Have Learned About Bitterness (It is hardy)
• It has a strong root. * Bitterness usually has its root in an event over which I have no control. I am hurt and rather than allow God to use the event according to His will, I get bitter.
• It grows deep in the heart to avoid detection and removal until it has a firm hold and is ready to go to seed.
• It can happen to any of us. * The wild untamed heart who may say, “I don’t care.” Yes, you do. * The thin, stony, or sandy heart who may say, “Things just don’t get to me.” Yes, they do. * The guarded, tended heart who may say, “I stay close to God.” It only takes one undetected or ignored seed of bitterness to plant a root. It is prolific.
• It grows and reproduces rapidly
• One event to which I inappropriately respond will create hundreds of seeds of sin in my life.
• It multiplies efficiently. * Unless I get the root, every petal of the bitterness will generate sin. Is is deceptive and destructive.
• It appears pleasant at first. * When something bad happens, doesn’t it feel good to blame and complain?
• It becomes ugly very quickly.
• It robs from the good things in my heart and life. It is hard to destroy.
• You have to kill the entire root.
• The root of bitterness is two-fold: * A lack of faith in God. * Selfishness. Galatians 5:19-21 The works of the flesh are all rooted in selfishness.
• The seeds are widespread. “… and thereby many be defiled.”

To overcome a root of bitterness, I must:
1. Confess my selfishness.
2. Give my heart and hurt to God and trust Him.
3. Choose to respond positively to the events in my life

3 comments:

Terri said...

I know where it came from, Bro. Dave. I wrote it!

Don Porter said...

It appears pleasant at first. * When something bad happens, doesn’t it feel good to blame and complain?

Our homes and churches would be so much improved if we would fix the above problem. We've all fallen prey to the temptation of griping and complaining. Once the ole' tongue spews the poison be ready to harvest a problem.

Dr Dave Noffsinger said...

Thank you Terri, it is good and I believe it will be helpful