CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 17, 2009

RICH IN MERCY

Ephesians 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Lets throw ourselves on the mercy of God!
Recently in reading Ephesians I got stuck on this verse, wondering how rich is God's mercy. We tend to measure riches by some standard - how does God measure it.
Unsearchable Eph 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
Many a man has set himself on the mission of determining the end of God's mercy.

A) Some would say murder, but Moses the murderer would say Psalm 90:14; 103:7-17.
B) Some would say adultery, but all David the adulterer had to say was:
"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving kindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions" Psalm 51:5
"For great is thy mercy toward me: And thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell." Psalm 86:13
C) Some would say, when you begin to backslide, but Psalms 94:18 says: "When I said, my foot slipeth: thy mercy, O Lord, held me up."
D) Some would say denial, but Peter said: I Peter 1:3-5.
E) Some would say failure to repent: I Corinthians 3:5
F) But still a voice of a protester suggest that there must be somewhere an eternally vile sinner whose wretchedness cannot be touched by God's mercy.

Consider John Newton, Slave trader: "I am not what I ought to be! How imperfect and deficient I am! I am not what I wish to be, although I abhor that which is evil and would cleave to what is good! I am not what I hope to be, but soon I shall be out of mortality, and with it all sin and imperfection. Though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I wish to be, nor yet what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was: A slave to sin and Satan. I can heartily join with the apostle and acknowledge that by the grace of God I am what I am!"

0 comments: