CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Balanced Church

Job 31:6 “Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity.”

Let me begin by saying that I do not believe that there is such a thing as a 'perfect church'. Whenever you have human beings assembled together, you are not going to have perfection. I do believe that some churches are more Scriptural than others. I do believe that some churches are more Biblical and some churches are more balanced than others. It is my desire and my prayer that our church be a balanced church. I would like to look through the word of God and see just how important it is to be balanced and what we need to do to be balanced.

In our text, Job is praying “Let me be weighed in an even balance.” He is admitting the possibility of being unbalanced without God's help. He wants to be balanced and he even goes on to say that an even balance is a sign of integrity. The Lord knows that we need more integrity in this day and age, not only as individuals, but in our churches as well. Biblical balance should be our prayer.

A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.” Proverbs 11:1

From this verse we see that it is possible to be balanced. We can be balanced. God is displeased with anything less. We ought to pray about it and we ought to pursue it, because it is possible for us to be balanced.

I have been in many churches down through the years. I have seen churches of every size and description. I have seen every different kind of personality that a church can have. What saddened me is that of all the churches I visited, I would not have considered joining a large majority of them if I were looking for a church. These churches had neglected some important issues and in some areas they were not as balanced as they should have been.

Let me explain what I am talking about. When you think of a particular church, there are probably one or two things that stand out about that church more than anything else. Some churches are strong in the Word. They have good preaching but maybe they have poor singing. Then you have churches that have good, strong, spiritual singing that lifts up and edifies the believer, but the preaching is pitiful. The preacher just does not know how to deliver the Word with power and authority. Then you have some churches that are focused only on the youth. The elderly people are forgotten and neglected. Then you have churches that have all these ministries for the old people but they tend to forget about the youth. The scenarios are endless. Some churches are very missions minded, but do nothing locally to reach their city for God, and visa versa. I think that you get my point. I believe that there is a balance and it is my desire for this church to be balanced.

There are at least four areas in which we ought to be balanced and I honestly believe that if we can achieve balance in these areas, we will be pleasing to the Lord.

1. A Balanced Message

In Acts 20:26, we will see what Paul said about his ministry. I would like to be able to say the same thing in the future looking back on the ministry here and the time that the Lord has allowed me to serve here:

Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.”

2. Balanced Music

Without a doubt, music is a very vital part of the service. I love music. I have loved music ever since I was a boy. I still love it. But guess what? You cannot build a church on music. You can build a big crowd with music, but not a true balanced church. You can get a big following with music, but not a Christ-centered church. The Beetles had a following. Elvis drew a crowd! We are talking about a balanced church here. Being balanced and being popular are two entirely different things. I'd rather be balanced!
It should be scriptural music
It should be spiritual music
It should not be sensual music

3. Balanced Ministry

I want to mention the four-fold ministry of the balanced church. There are many ministries that a church can have, but these four should be a top priority.
Salvation
Sanctification
Separation
Service

4. Balanced Missions

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Acts 1:8

I have visited a lot of churches that do a good job (for there size) on the uttermost part of the earth but do very little to reach their Jerusalem. And even less to reach Judaea and in Samaria

0 comments: